Junior Software Engineer
This job posting is no longer active
We're looking for a Java Software Engineer to join our team on Jersey.
- Ideal if you're a software engineer who has either existing Java experience or shows a keen interest in cross-training in Java
- You'll work with your team support and develop RBS International's Java based platforms, including our digital platforms such as eQ Next Generation and ibanking
- You'll have the chance to contribute to work on in-house Java based applications, and your work will help deliver services such as Money Market Deposits, FX Trading, Cash Management and international banking services to our customers
- This role is based in Jersey and so will require the right to work in Jersey
What you'll do
This collaborative, technical role will see you working as part of a team, liaising with colleagues and key stakeholders to understand business objectives and requirements, and building appropriate solutions. You'll then contribute to designing and developing high-volume, high-performance, high-availability applications using proven frameworks and technologies. You'll also work with your team to write unit and integration tests within automated test environments to ensure code quality. Other aspects of your role will include:
- Delivering well thought out estimates after a thorough consideration of design, build and testing complexity as well as maintainability and serviceability
- Developing reusable libraries and APIs for use across the bank
- Developing software that is amenable for greater automation of build, release testing and deployment process on all environments
- Working with the team to reuse and share platform components and technologies within the software engineering team
- Delivering software components to enable changes and enhancements to bank platforms, applications and services
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with some existing technical experience in some or all of the following:
- Software engineering and software design, as well as developing and supporting object orientated web-based applications on an application server platform
- Database design
- Software development in a SOA or micro-services paradigm
- Test-driven development alongside use of automated test frameworks, mocking/stubbing and unit testing tools
- Documenting code to a high standard
- Using APIs, such as using SOAP and REST APIs with JSON or XML
You'll also need strong communication skills allowing you to liaise and collaborate effectively with colleagues at all levels. While not essential, experience of any of the following would be welcome, and could prove an advantage:
- Developing in Java on WebSphere or Tomcat in Java 6, 7 or 8
- Java development, including new features in Java 8, Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) including working with JMS, JSF, JDBC and Apache Struts
- Agile delivery
- Banking and payment systems
- Spring Framework, JPA, Eclipse IDE or Rational Software Architect
- Maven for producing builds would be a bonus
- GIT or Rational Team Concert source code control and builds
- Jython scripting
What else you need to know
To undertake this role on Jersey, due to local legislation you'll need to be registered as 'Entitled' or 'Entitled to work' residential status.
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 25% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.