Join us as a Senior Data Engineer
- We're looking for Senior Data Engineer to join our Data & Innovation team with our Data function, and work on a series of innovative and transformative machine learning experiments
- You'll be developing cutting-edge innovative data products, and applying data science techniques for innovative solutions to improve our customer experience and value exchange
- This is a chance to hone your expert programming and data engineering skills in a fast paced and innovative environment
What you'll do
In this role, you'll identify and work with large, complex data sets from across the banks data estate to solve difficult, non-routine analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods as needed. You'll conduct analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification in collaboration with business stakeholders, and also define data engineering project deliverables.
Day to day, you'll:
- Lead and develop a team of data engineers to explore and demonstrate how new engineering and ETL tools can be drive value from data
- Iteratively build and prototype data analysis pipelines to provide insights at scale that will ultimately lead to production deployment
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of RBS data structures and metrics, advocating for changes where needed for product development
- Interact across RBS functions to make business recommendations, including cost-benefit, forecasting, and experiment analysis
- Present findings to stakeholders at all levels of seniority, using experimentally verified quantitative information
- Lead the data engineering community to identify and deliver opportunities to support the bank’s strategic direction through better use of data
- Identify new methods, tools, techniques and opportunities to deliver value through data engineering and science
- Educate and embed new data techniques into the business through role modelling, training and experiment design oversight
- Manage day to day activities within risk appetite
- Display risk practices and behaviours consistent with a risk culture where risk is simply part of the way we work and think
The skills you'll need
To succeed in this role, you'll hold a Masters degree - or equivalent - in a quantitative discipline. You'll have in depth experience of data engineering and ETL techniques, including data modelling and the pragmatic implementation of production data pipelines with structured data.
We'll also look to you to bring:
- Experience with statistical software - R, Python, MATLAB, pandas - database languages such as SQL, big data technologies Hadoop and Spark, and cloud environments
- Data quality and assurance techniques
- Modern code development practices, including git, and CI:CD
- Experience articulating and translating business questions and using statistical techniques to arrive at an answer using available data
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction
- A willingness to teach others and learn new techniques
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Applied experience supporting data scientists with machine learning on large datasets
- Applied experience in deploying machine learning models into a production environment
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
If you need any adjustments to support your application, such as information in alternative formats or special requirements to access our buildings, or if you’re eligible under the Disability Confident Scheme please contact us and we’ll do everything we can to help.