Join us in Croydon or Edinburgh as a Data Engineer
- Join a small Commercial and Private Banking Data Management team with a high level of responsibility and autonomy able to deliver a large impact to the bank
- We're looking for an experienced data engineer to maintain and enhance our data warehouse and ETL batch underpinning the population of our Business Data Marts
- Working closely with our Analyst community, you'll be responsible for optimising our storage and load processes, providing third level support addressing issues and problems
What you'll do
As a Data Engineer in the Data & Analytics Data Management Team, you'll collaborate with data analysts, data engineers and data scientists. You'll be using data to build automated, robust and high quality data delivery frameworks, as well as simplifying the bank’s complex infrastructure through the development of innovative data driven solutions.
We'll look to you to inspire RBS to be even more commercially successful through timely and accurate data marts, while also keeping our customers, and the bank’s data safe and secure.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Driving value from data for our customers
- Optimising ETL processes, using existing tools, with a focus on data quality, process robustness and scalability
- Innovating and problem solving using existing and new technology within the bank
- Actively participating in the data engineering community to deliver opportunities to support the bank’s strategic direction
- Helping to maintain the integrity and security of the Business Data Marts
- Optimising storage to maximise performance and minimise our data footprint
- Providing insight into the changing database storage and usage requirements for the company and offer suggestions for solutions
The skills you'll need
We're looking for an expert level programmer and data engineer, qualified to BSc or equivalent in computer science or engineering. You'll have a demonstrable and successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large variety disconnected datasets. In addition, you'll have experience in understanding of large scale data including best practices, and principles of managing them successful for teams developing solutions.
You'll be a SAS Certified Advanced Programmer for SAS 9, data engineering focused, or equivalent experience, as well as a SAS Certified Data Integration Developer for SAS 9, or equivalent.
You'll also need:
- Expert knowledge of Teradata Version 16
- Experience of ETL technical design, development and support, including data warehousing and data modelling capabilities
- Strong SQL skills and an experience of MS SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, Python, R, Hadoop or AWS
- Knowledge of modern code development practices
- The ability to develop creative solutions to problems
- Experience of working in an Agile team
- Fluent and effective written and verbal communication skills in business and technical English
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles find out more.