Principal Software Designer(Java)
Join us as a Principal Software Designer, to build and manage various services under D2C Electronic trading platform.
What the Business does
This role is based in the D2C E-trading within Fixed Income Electronic Trading, NatWest Markets Technology India (NWM Tech).
Fixed Income E-Trading system is a global high performance real-time pricing and electronic trading platform for Interest Rate Swaps, Government, Supranational and Corporate Bonds, Credit Derivatives, Bills, Commercial Paper and emerging markets.
Fixed Income Electronic Trading has enabled RBS to become a market leader within the ecommerce space. System is written in Java server side with a C# GUI and Sybase database.
As a Principal Software Designer, your key responsibilities will include:
- Driving technical strategy for the business unit
- Managing teams of size varying from 4 to 12 people
- Ownership on architecture/ design/ development of key applications
- Responsible for business and technical deliveries including stakeholder management
- Responsible for overall development practices
- Extensive communication on a business and technical level will be required with business and technology stakeholders and end-users.
- Develop enhancements to the platform and Java development of the D2C Quoting System – taking business requirements and implementing these in the most efficient and appropriate manner, development will involve connectivity to external markets and real-time, multi-threaded code.
- Writing unit tests and test automation.
- Low-latency, clear and concise development practices are expected.
- Analysis of problems/requirements – taking short briefs from traders / project managers and converting these in to an understandable set of requirements for development by the team.
- Documentation of development and designs to be used by other members of the team and support teams.
- Respond to production issues, i.e. level 3 support for global implementation regions HKG/TKY and LDN, on an ad hoc basis
The skills you will need:
In order to be successful in this role, you must have the following skills & experience:
- Ability to drive technology architecture transformations and influence at all levels
- 11-14 years of IT experience in Agile ,TDD and software delivery best practise
- Development experience in large scale, high volume, multi-threaded and highly distributed systems
- Experience and sound knowledge of n-tier architectures, service oriented and distributed architectures
- Experience of working in and delivering solutions for front office systems
- Proven exposure to identify bottlenecks and recommendations for applications varying in architecture and deployment complexity
- Experience in Java multi-threading and concurrency packages
- Knowledge of REST and SOAP web services
- Experience in Java Message Service and Unit Testing framework
- Sound understanding of Java coding best practices, data structures, algorithms & Design Patterns
- Expertise in troubleshooting/debugging, distributed programming, JVM and Garbage collector tuning
Our purpose is to serve customers well. We serve around 19 million customers across the globe, and our aim is to consistently meet and exceed their needs wherever they find us. Our ambition is to become the UK’s number-one bank for customer trust, service and advocacy and our team in India is integral to helping us achieve this goal.
We’ll make sure you’re clear on what’s expected of you in your role, that you have what you need so that you’re capable of succeeding, and that you’re motivated to do your best work. We’re a place where you can grow your career, build skills, expand your horizons and be recognised for the great contributions you make.
Your reward is about much more than just your salary. Our benefits packages are designed to be flexible, giving you the freedom to make choices which fit your lifestyle, and your plans for the future.
We care about diversity, and we believe everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work. And as an equal opportunity employer, we invite applicants from all sections of the community including across gender identities, orientations, physical and mental capabilities, cultures and ages. We want you for the work you’ll do.