Release Train Manager
We're hiring a Release Train Manager to join us in London
- This key role in Digital Distribution is a chance to be a true servant leader, and help to ensure consistent agile delivery at scale
- You'll be encouraged to drive your personal development, keeping up to date with the best practice from the outside market through courses and conferences, and bringing it back into the bank
- Digital Distribution is committed to embedding agile and DevOps practice and covers a wide range of products and service, so there's plenty of opportunity to cross skill and move into other areas
- Our culture rewards delivery, not 'face time', and we encourage flexible working
- This vacancy opens for applications from 08 August 2019, and closes on 06 September 2019
What you'll do
Digital Distribution is a new domain with the ambition to be recognised as number one for engagement with our customers, giving them more control through automated journeys, and providing market leading products and services.
As Release Train Manager, you'll work within and across domain platforms, facilitating work to plan, schedule and execute our delivery roadmaps and pipelines. It's a complex task that will mean understanding the vision, plans, and interdependencies of a wide range of teams, and bring them into alignment so portfolio and domain pipeline are synchronised. You'll act as a model servant leader, ensuring a continuous flow of business value and enhanced customer experience, escalating obstacles in the road, managing risks, and pushing for continuous improvement.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing and maintaining the release train, including preparing and reviewing release and environment strategy, making plans and estimates, managing interdependencies, and making sure the teams have a clear understanding of how their work helps the customer
- Driving continuous improvement through agile coaching, 'inspect and adapt' workshops, proactive assessing the viability of alternative approaches to delivery, and making an active contribution to release and environment best practice
- Using agile tools and techniques to manage and optimise the rate at which our programmes deliver business value
- Building and communicating release calendars and iterative planning cycles, coordinating with other release train managers across domains
- Improving planning and execution by guiding teams in setting sprint and release visions and goals, and keeping pre and post planning meetings focused and effective
- Bringing the team planning objectives together into programme and portfolio objectives, and publishing them for visibility and transparency
- Bringing together programme release objectives into value stream release objectives where possible, publishing to increase understanding of the wider strategy
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone who brings strong experience managing and delivering end-to-end technology programmes, with a well developed understanding of P3M and Agile at scale. You'll also have experience of creating and managing multiple programme plans to be delivered by different teams with their own ways of working.
Previous experience of delivering complex technical and business change programmes will be essential with a focus on value-add, as will a proven ability to transform teams and people, while coaching across various methodologies such as non-scrum, hybrid and Agile delivery pods.
We'll also expect:
- Strong design thinking and innovative service design experience across both IT and Business lines.
- A strong understanding of complex systems such as Systems Thinking, Collective Behaviour, Non-linear Dynamics and Pattern Formation
- Advanced skills in communicating, drafting, and creating messaging for large audiences
- Experience of teaching and facilitating buy-in across large audiences in relation to complex concepts
- A background in large-scale organisational change, organisational leadership, product innovation and design, or product delivery
- The proven ability to manage a wide range of stakeholder relationships, both internally and with third parties
- A clear understanding of risk and control, and a history of operating in a control conscious environment
- Excellent people management and collaboration skills, including the ability to hold people, teams and suppliers to account when needed
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.