Lead Software Designer (Java & Cloud)
A Lead Software Designer role for a data analytics, BI/MI expert using Java / Python based open source technologies as well as having fair understanding of Cloud (GCP) migration. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with Investment banking knowledge side from a variety of systems to bring data into BDX from different trade/reference data sources and which will eventually be used for various Reporting purposes including regulatory reports. There is a great opportunity to work upon strategic platform being built which incorporates new technologies & tools like CI/CD, SQL Server 2016, open source Apache Flink & Apache Ignite and corresponding GCP services (DataFlow, BigQuery etc.) in near future.
What the Business does
Client Technology – MI / BI
This BDX team currently consists of approx. 30 people (analysts, developers, support and testers) geographically split between London and India working on a number of varied projects delivering systems to support the Front Office Business – specifically Sales.
We provide a suite of tools to build long term relationships with our clients by providing our customer facing staff a complete, consistent and timely view across customer interactions, lifecycle and products. Our products allow the business to anticipate needs and support the sales team through improved insight and assisted decision making, while providing reporting and MI on the impact and value of relationships and products.
Providing a single customer view encompassing who our customer is, products they are trading, regulatory attestations, lifecycle tasks and profitability / value. Our product allows advanced reporting, MI and data visualization against our global population of customers to better drive our customer advocacy and selection.
As a Lead Software Designer, your key responsibilities will include:
- Development multiple cutting edge solutions on multiple environments across the enterprise like Google cloud (GCP) and open source java technologies like Apache Flink, Apache Ignite, etc.
- Java development in the NWM business requirements and implementing these in the most efficient and appropriate manner, development will involve connectivity to external markets, processing trade requests and automating trading for the business
- Excellent experience of real-time, multi-threaded development and applications supporting the scale of 10k messages per second.
- Low-latency (sub millis) clear and concise development practices are expected – including working on ultra-low latency messaging middleware and lock free design development.
- Data analytics – understand the business need and drive out POCs
- Cloud on-boarding – participate and implement cloud on-boarding & integration
- Technical management responsible for mobilizing multidisciplinary teams working collaboratively.
- Communication of project vision, team based planning, establishing development processes and standards.
- Project planning, architecture, requirements inspections, technical design.
- Software Architecture using object-oriented analysis and design techniques in UML.
The Skills you’ll need
To be successful in this role, you must have the following skills:
- Java Multithreading, Java Concurrency and Garbage Collections Concepts for Real-Time handling – building systems with high throughput and low latency
- Exposure to SOA/ Micro services and messaging middleware or modern day messaging protocols
- High Proficiency in Core Java – Exception Handling, Collections etc.
- Good understanding of design & technical solution for high streaming data flow (using Apache Flink/ Beam etc.) as well as building APIs on top of large data warehouse.
- Analytics programming language like Python, R – some hands on experience
- Good exposure and experience of Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) tools and end-to-end solution.
- Good understanding of database & related technologies - Big Data
- Decent understanding of DevOps methodology and project automation
- Experience in financial/Banking domain / front office environment
- Proven ability to liaise & communicate effectively with the stakeholders in business terms.
RBS doesn’t just provide you with an exciting work and a generous pay package. We take pride in ensuring your personal and professional development are first and foremost. You will have access to a range of development and learning programs, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Whether its retirement planning, supporting a charity close to your heart or taking care of your well-being, RBS makes sure you are taken care of. For more information on our benefits, please visit our website.
At RBS, our purpose is to serve customers well. We serve around 24 million customers across the globe, and our aim is to consistently meet their needs wherever they find us. Our ambition is to become the UK’s number-one bank for customer trust, service and advocacy by 2020. Our global workforce is integral to helping us achieve this goal.
With colleagues across 5 main states, and connected across-the-globe by common values and a unified ambition, RBS India delivers vital bank functions that help us offer truly round-the-clock support to our UK customers, and 24/7 banking to our international customers.
RBS welcomes applications from all sections of the community.