We’re looking for a Legal Counsel to join us in our London office
- For a strong and competent legal professional, this is a chance to join our highly specialised Large Corporates & Structured Finance legal team, focusing on supporting our Large Cap Leveraged Lending business
- This role offers the enviable dual advantage of becoming part of a specialist area while still enjoying a varied and extensive breadth of work
- You'll gain significant exposure across all our franchises as you provide high value, commercial and strategic legal support and advice across the Lending and Advisory businesses within Structured Finance and NatWest Markets
- This role is advertised from 13th August and will close on 10th September
- The salary is competitive
What you'll do
In the Large Corporates & Structured Finance legal team, we provide transactional and advisory support to the bank’s key complex and event driven lending businesses, including both syndicated and bilateral lending. We support a broad range of the bank’s complex lending businesses, including corporate and investment grade lending, leveraged finance, infrastructure finance, funds finance and project finance.
As part of this team, you'll be managing and coordinating the delivery of high value transactional and lending product legal advice, support and strategy to our Lending and Advisory businesses, with a particular focus on our Large Cap Leveraged Finance business.
Day to day in your role, you'll be:
- Working in a fast-paced environment supporting the bank’s transactional lending businesses, including reviewing and advising on pitches for mandates, structuring of transactions, commercial grids, commitment documentation, term sheets, loan documentation and intercreditor arrangements
- Making sure your advice is readily understandable to all parties as you'll often be dealing with a wide and challenging audience that won't necessarily have a legal background, ranging from analysts to managing directors
- Getting involved in providing expert advice on regulatory issues, including upcoming regulatory and market led changes affecting the lending product, business initiatives and projects, as well as feeding into relevant market associations including the Loan Markets Association
- Bringing to bear your perceptive and inquisitive mind, contributing to the continuous improvement in the operating practices and processes of the team
The skills you'll need
To join us in this role, you'll need to be a qualified solicitor or barrister, or a banking lawyer, with strong leveraged finance lending experience, including significant experience in a variety of products including Super Senior RCFs, Term Loan B’s and the LMA Leveraged Finance Facility Documentation. You'll also need exceptional market awareness and understanding of the Large Cap Leveraged Lending market, in particular top tier sponsor-led financings, as well as industry level knowledge of the legal and regulatory issues currently facing banks such as IBOR discontinuance.
We're also looking for:
- Experience of providing commercially focused legal advice and leading transactions, ideally in-house at a financial services company, but alternatively in a private practice within the Large Cap Leveraged Lending Finance sponsor-led market
- Well developed commercial and market knowledge and strong transactional experience of sponsor and corporate led leveraged finance lending transactions
- The ability to build rapport and establish strong working relationships with challenging stakeholders in a fast paced environment
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.