This job posting is no longer active
We're looking for a Legal Counsel to join us in London
- For a strong legal professional, this is a chance to join our specialised and highly regarded Structured Debt legal team within the wider NatWest Markets legal team
- You'll have the dual advantage of becoming part of a specialist area, while still enjoying a varied and extensive breadth of work
- You'll gain significant exposure across a number of our franchises, and be a key player in providing critical, strategic legal support and advice across NatWest Markets' Structured Debt activities, where challenge and progression go hand in hand
- This is an opportunity to work closely with our Structured Debt businesses, and so have a hand in influencing the growth of the wider bank while also raising the visibility of your own profile
What you'll do
The Structured Debt legal team provides transactional and advisory support to NatWest Markets' key structured debt activities. As part of the team, you'll manage and coordinate high value and product specific legal advice, support and strategy to our structured debt businesses in a commercial, user friendly and efficient manner. You can expect a varied and exciting range of work, including on market leading transactions, strategic projects, proactive risk management, business initiatives, and implementing new legislation and regulation. By working closely with stakeholders and legal colleagues, you will make sure that any issues, strategic projects and business initiatives are delivered in a timely, effective and efficient manner. You'll succeed in this role by:
- Supporting NatWest Markets' transactional structured debt businesses, including reviewing and advising on relevant documentation
- Providing expert, accurate and commercially focused legal advice on regulatory issues, including upcoming regulatory and market led changes affecting structured debt products, business initiatives, and projects
- Making sure that your advice is readily understandable to all parties – including those without a legal background – and that it is commercial and proactive, and delivered at the right time
- Bringing to bear your perceptive and inquisitive mind, contributing to continuous improvement in the team's operating practices and processes, and promoting a culture of cost effectiveness and control
- Identifying and evaluating issues, and forming robust solutions that mitigate legal risk
The skills you'll need
We're looking for a qualified solicitor or barrister with post-qualifying structured debt legal experience, ideally in-house at a financial services company such as a leading bank, or alternatively at a leading law firm. You will bring knowledge and transactional experience of structured debt activities which may include Asset-Backed Securities, Mortgage-Backed Securities, Whole Business Multi-issuance Platforms, Covered Bonds, Securitised Products, Secured Treasury Activities and CLOs. We'll also expect:
- Commercial awareness and analytical skills, as well as a solid understanding of general banking and finance laws and practices, and of the principal regulatory and legal framework within which the bank operates
- A track record of building rapport and establishing strong working relationships with stakeholders, and the ability to gain the respect of those you work with, from business stakeholders through to senior executives and external service providers
- A self-starting approach, able to hit the ground running and keen to take on new areas of responsibility
- Flexible communication skills, allowing you to tailor to your audience and be understood by all
- The desire to keep up-to-date on relevant legal and market developments, and maintain an understanding of the legal issues associated with the businesses the team supports
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.