Software Engineer, Java
Join us in London in the role of Software Engineer, Java
- For an expert Java practitioner, this is a fantastic opportunity to join NatWest Markets (NWM) and contribute to the growth of the global FX automated trading business
- We'll look to you to deliver features and products to improve the richness and quality of the algorithmic and automated order trading platforms Agile and OMS
- You'll support growth in algo volumes and new types of algos, and the automation of existing manual order flows
- Recognised an outstanding technologist, you'll continuously strive to improve engineering, bringing new ideas to the table and mentoring less experienced members of staff
What you'll do
Your primary responsibility will be the design and development of algorithmic trading and OMS technology platforms, working closely with our traders to gage requirements and optimise results. You'll provider 3rd line production support which on occasion may require call outs, and you'll be responsible for the delivery of new features, bug-fixes and architectural changes. Along with your team of 10 specialists, you'll collaborate with, quants, front office sales/trading and other technology teams.
As well as this, you'll:
- Undertake business requirement gathering and analysis
- Mentor junior members of the team
- Comply with all codes and policies, and deliver against all relevant statutory, regulatory, supervisory and legal obligations
- Proactively identify and effective manage any potential risk to deliver key customer outcomes
The skills you'll need
As this is a development role in which you'll be building from the ground up, you'll need extensive core Java programming expertise. This will ideally include knowledge of multi-threading, garbage collection, UNIX, SQL, Git, FIX protocol, messaging buses and open source libraries.
You'll be working alongside our traders as well as your team, so you'll need strong communication and stakeholder management skills.
We're also looking for:
- The ability to diagnose and resolve real-time production problems
- Knowledge of financial markets, secondary trading, and FX (ideally)
- A keen eye for detail and the ability to gather, manage, implement and test requirements
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 25% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.