We're looking for a Legal Counsel to join us in London for a twelve month period
- You'll be supporting our Commercial & Private Banking function, specifically working within the Transaction Services Legal team, on key strategic projects
- Working with a range of legal colleagues and stakeholders, you'll be part of a collaborative and supportive team, with a great variety of experience and expertise
- We're looking for a professional lawyer with expert legal skills to join us - someone who is keen to innovate and help us transform this area of our bank
What you'll do
We'll look to you to support the Head of Legal, Transaction Services in delivering legal strategy, covering a range of issues, projects and initiatives. This will entail managing and coordinating the delivery of legal advice and support (internally and externally) for the Transaction Services business.
In this role you'll:
- Manage external advisers and other stakeholders in successfully delivering transactions and projects
- Deliver expert, accurate and cost effective legal advice, ensuring it's readily understandable to non lawyers, delivered within agreed timescales, and manages or minimises legal risks
- Proactively drive improvements in the operating practices and processes of the Transaction Services Legal team
- Manage and deliver the communication of internal and external legal advice and provide input on transactions and projects to stakeholders in Transaction Services in a friendly, commercially astute and efficient manner
- Manage legal costs through the use of E-billing, auctions and other cost tools to help drive a culture of disciplined cost management and controls
- Ensure all new joiners working with the Transaction Services Legal team receive appropriate induction, training and management
- Deputise for the Head of Legal, Transaction Services on Trade Finance Risk forums, when required
The skills you'll need
You'll need strong experience of providing legal and commercial advice in relation to transactions and projects, either in-house or in a reputable UK law firm.
We'll also look to you to demonstrate:
- Experience of working with leading law firms and other professional advisers and consultants
- Experience of delivering regulatory change projects
- Knowledge of financial services, commercial banking and the commercial environment in which we operate
- Knowledge of the legal issues associated with Transaction Services, and in particular trade and supply chain finance
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
For more information on our benefits, please visit our website.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles, find out more here.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.