Legal Counsel (12 months)
This job posting is no longer active
We're looking for a Legal Counsel to join us in London
- We're looking for a professional lawyer with expert legal skills – particularly in trade finance or supply chain finance – to join us and assist with the growth and transformation of a key area of our business
- You'll be supporting our Commercial & Private Banking function, specifically working within the Transaction Services Legal team, on key strategic projects and transactions
- Working with a range of legal colleagues and stakeholders, you'll be part of a collaborative and supportive team, with a great variety of experience and expertise
- The role is available for a period of 12 months
What you'll do
The Transaction Services legal team supports the business on a wide range of projects, products and transactions, including trade finance, supply chain finance, cash, payments, channels, and commercial cards among others. This role will see you providing legal advice and support with a specific focus on trade finance or supply chain finance matters, supporting the Head of Legal, Transaction Services in delivering the legal strategy, covering a range of issues, projects and initiatives.
In this role you'll:
- Manage external advisers and other stakeholders in successfully delivering transactions and projects
- Deliver expert, accurate and cost effective legal advice, ensuring it's readily understandable to non lawyers, delivered within agreed timescales, and manages or minimises legal risks
- Proactively drive improvements in the operating practices and processes of the Transaction Services Legal team
- Manage and deliver the communication of internal and external legal advice and provide input on transactions and projects to stakeholders in Transaction Services in a friendly, commercially astute and efficient manner
- Manage legal costs through the use of E-billing, auctions and other cost tools to help drive a culture of disciplined cost management and controls
- Ensure all new joiners working with the Transaction Services Legal team receive appropriate induction, training and management
- Deputise for the Head of Legal, Transaction Services on Trade Finance Risk forums, when required
The skills you'll need
You'll need strong experience of providing legal and commercial advice in relation to transactions and projects, either in-house or in a reputable UK law firm. You should also have specific experience of providing advice in respect of trade finance or supply chain finance, either in a financial institution or in private practice.
We'll also look to you to demonstrate:
- Experience of working with leading law firms and other professional advisers and consultants
- Experience of delivering regulatory change projects
- Knowledge of financial services, commercial banking and the commercial environment in which we operate
- Knowledge of the legal issues associated with Transaction Services, and in particular trade and supply chain finance
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.