Legal Counsel, EU & Competition Law
This job posting is no longer active
We're looking for a Legal Counsel in Edinburgh
- Working on a varied portfolio of competition law matters, you'll be owning and developing legal risk and control mechanisms
- The EU & Competition Legal team's remit extends to supporting all of the bank, and so you'll gain excellent exposure in this varied and challenging role
- The other three members of the EU & Competition team are currently based in London, and so this role is intended to allow for on-the-ground advice in our Edinburgh HQ
- You'll need post qualification competition law experience to be considered for this role
What you'll do
You'll support the Head of EU & Competition to deliver the team's legal strategy, working with stakeholders and legal colleagues to ensure the timely, effective and efficient delivery of all issues, projects and initiatives. Your role will also involve:
- Managing and co-coordinating the delivery of specialist competition legal advice and legal support – whether internal and external – to all internal divisions and functions globally
- Managing external advisers and other stakeholders in successfully delivering transactions and projects on a timely basis
- Managing the delivery of expert, accurate and cost effective legal advice where needed, ensuring it is readily understandable to non-lawyers, delivered within relevant timescales, is commercial and proactive and manages and minimises legal risks
- Responsibility for managing legal costs through the use of E-billing, auctions and other cost tools, as appropriate, and for driving a culture of disciplined cost management and controls
The skills you'll need
To succeed in this role, it's essential you have sufficient Legal post qualification experience. You'll also be able to show:
- Industry level knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment and issues within which RBS operates
- Some knowledge of mergers and acquisitions, including their competition law aspects
- Good people skills, with the confidence to gain the respect of stakeholders and colleagues alike, including public speaking and presentations
- The ability to work both independently and within a small team
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
For more information on our benefits, please visit our website.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles, find out more here.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.