Lead Engineer - Java
This job posting is no longer active
We're looking for a Lead Engineer in Java to join us in London
- Build on your Java expertise in this high profile development role, delivering cutting edge digital web solutions
- You'll be contributing to a vibrant, forward looking team, working on leading edge technology while coaching and mentoring less experienced developers
- Working on both the back end systems and front end user interface (UI), you'll enjoy a great deal of variety and gain a rare insight into how the bank operates
What you'll do
We'll look to you to play a key role in the flagship e-commerce delivery platform, used across the bank to provide digital experiences to both internal and external clients. You'll be part of an agile team and work closely with business sponsors to define and deliver innovative technical solutions, both to external customers and internal trading and sales desks.
More specifically, you'll:
- Develop solutions for the core of the platform including, but not limited to, release tools, cloud CDN integration, permissions systems and analytics
- Interpret technical and business requirements into functional deliverables
- Tech stack using a variety of technologies including cloud (AWS, Azure), AppDynamics, Hystrix, Consul, Go, Micro-service architecture, and Neo4j graph DB
- Integrate with a variety of systems and technologies to provide common frameworks used by other developers across the bank
- Provide SDK’s and API access to services such that other teams can easily integrate and provide additional data to the platform
The skills you'll need
We're looking for an experienced and talented Java Developer, with knowledge of Java debugging tools and profilers. Along with experience with Continuous Delivery and knowledge of Spring Framework, you'll be adaptable to a wide range of technologies.
As well as this, you'll have:
- Extensive web stack experience (REST APIs, resilient distributed micro-services, load-balancing, hosting)
- Enthusiasm for dev-ops driven software development
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing large data systems managing complex integrations and providing API access to other teams
- Experience with developing software products/APIs which are consumed by other developers and teams outside direct control
- An understanding of performance tuning and optimisation
Experience working in an Agile environment, and of delivering cloud based solutions (AWS, Azure) would also be highly advantageous. You'll also ideally have experience with Containerisation technologies such as Docker or RKT, and knowledge of garbage collection and optimising code for memory, CPU and IO.
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
For more information on our benefits, please visit our website.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles, find out more here.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.